RFC 5855 “Nameservers for IPv4 and IPv6 Reverse Zones” specifies a dedicated and stable set of nameserver names for each of the IN-ADDR.ARPA and IP6.ARPA zones.
Currently IN-ADDR.ARPA is served by a subset of the DNS root servers.
- A.IN-ADDR-SERVERS.ARPA (operated by ARIN)
- B.IN-ADDR.SERVERS.ARPA (operated by ICANN)
- C.IN-ADDR.SERVERS.ARPA (operated by AfriNIC)
- D.IN-ADDR.SERVERS.ARPA (operated by LACNIC)
- E.IN-ADDR.SERVERS.ARPA (operated by APNIC)
- F.IN-ADDR.SERVERS.ARPA (operated by RIPE-NCC)
This exercise of delegating a reverse zone to a stable set of names has already been undertaken and completed for IP6.ARPA.